Kaoota Tramway Kaoota, Kingborough

Today’s weather

Partly cloudy

Partly cloudy.

Issued 4.10pm, Sun 22 May 2022
© Bureau of Meteorology






This gently graded track meanders through varied bushland, including dry eucalypt forest and rainforest, following a section of the historic Kaoota Tramway. While large sections of the tramway are now in private ownership, Council has been able to develop 6 km for people to enjoy – its width and gradient perfect for walking or riding abreast. Constructed in 1906 , the 20 km long two-foot gauge tramway was used to transport coal from the mine at Kaoota to the wharf at Margate. After coal mining ceased the tramway was used to transport logs, fruit and passengers. The line was dismantled in 1922 after bushfires destroyed several bridges. Keep a lookout for historic relics, such as railway sleepers, rails and coal spills.

Please use Pelverata Road from Sandfly to access the top entrance to the track. Do not use the road coming up from Allens Rivulet as it is unsealed, narrow and has poor visibility. Due to the abundance of native wildlife along this track dogs are prohibited. Can be combined with Nierinna Creek Track by walking down Lawless Road to the entrance of Nierinna Creek Track. Margate Rivulet Track follows on from near the bottom of Nierinna Creek Track.

User groups Suggested time Difficulty
Walking Half day
Cycling Half day
Mountain bike riding Half day
Horse riding Half day


Dogs allowed on lead 

Dogs allowed on lead.



Safety precautions

Caution - horse riding occurs on this track 


  • Kaoota Tramway - 'Avenue'
  • Kaoota Tramway 2
  • Kaoota Tramway 3
  • Kaoota Tramway 4
  • Kaoota Tramway 5
  • Kaoota Tramway 6


Getting there

Kaoota Tramway track can be accessed from Lawless Road and Kaoota Road.

This track is managed by Kingborough Council

Kingborough Council logo

If you have any questions, feedback or updates regarding this track please contact the track manager at the Kingborough Council by phone on 03 6211 8200 or by email to kc@kingborough.tas.gov.au. For urgent communications please contact us by phone.